Friday, January 28, 2011

The Diagnosis

Tuesday I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  I am relieved and speechless all at the same time.  For over 10 years I have been extremely tired and always achy.  In the last 3 months my Dr. has been leaning towards Fibromyalgia.  Last week I went to the Doc because my arms were numb, tingling and in pain plus the rest of my body was achy and sore and my fatigue had the best of me.  Doc put me on medical leave and instructed me to go to a Rheumatilogist and a counselor STAT.  The Rheumatologist confirmed fibro, and what I am experiencing now is a fibro-flair up.  In my case it is stress induced.  The counselor wants me to eliminate things in my life that cause stress.  The rheumatologist wants me to relax and go get massages every week, my doc wants me to take a new med that is supposed to help with fibro.  All of this is really overwhelming and really does not seem do-able.  No one can tell me how long this flair will last, so far it has been 12 days.  In fact, the 5 minutes I have been typing has been really hard and I'm leaning towards taking a break....
I am 34 years old, married and I have 2 active children.  I work at a busy elementary school as the school secretary.  How on earth can I eliminate anything?  I LOVE my job, I joke that I came with the building... I have been there as long as the school has been open, almost 8 years!  My family is my number 1 priority!  I can't not support my son and his baseball schedule, I can't not put my daughters hair in pigtails.  BUT everything is so hard.  How do I find balance?  My home has been neglected for almost 2 weeks, dishes, clutter, laundry, dust.  I am a clean freak and I just cant muster up the energy to do something about it... the condition of my home is really stressing me out!  The counselor said to do things to help relieve stress... cleaning and crafts are the things that mellow me out.  An impossible thing when your arms are numb and your body aches all over and your soooo tired.  I am in such a FUNK right now.  My head is telling me to get over this and snap out of it... but my body just won't listen!  I can't let this get the best of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment